Our History


Studentersamfundet in Trondheim was founded on 1. oktober 1910, just a few days after the first students were enrolled at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Initially lacking a dedicated venue, Rådssalen (the Council Hall) in the Main Building at Gløshaugen served as the first gathering place for the young association. However, within two years, Studentersamfundet managed to secure enough funds to purchase its own establishment. This building was an old circus located near the current cinema center on Prinsens gate, aptly named Cirkus.

From the outset, Cirkus was considered a provisional meeting place. Samfundet faced financial constraints during this period, and it was precisely this grim financial situation that gave rise to the biennial event that sweeps through Trondheim, known as UKA. Consequently, in 1927, several UKAs were organized. After persistent lobbying efforts in the Norwegian Parliament, the Society was also allocated the surplus from Pængelotteriet (a lottery), finally providing sufficient funds to commence the construction of a new building. With a stable financial foundation in place, an architectural competition was announced with the following criteria: The old hall's basic concept [should] be retained in the new one, [...] and to the greatest extent possible, approach the circular ground shape.

Unaware that a worldwide economic crisis was imminent, today's Studentersamfund was erected as a living tribute to the Cirkus building. Crown Prince Olav, by the way, laid the foundation stone. After a construction period of just over two years, students could move into the now well-known red round building after 17 years at Cirkus. The house was inaugurated on the 19th anniversary of the Studentersamfundet, on October 1.

Interrupted only by World War II, the Samfundet's building has been the natural gathering place for students in Trondheim. After 76 years and numerous renovations, much has changed. The activities at the House have required and continue to demand ample space. The first committee to plan an expansion on the prison plot just above the House was established in 1957, and more recently, after nearly 50 years, Samfundet has advocated for expansion on the prison plot.

At Samfundet, history lives within the walls. Vibrant, ever-evolving, and consistently inspiring, the House will always be characterized by dedication and a spirit of volunteerism.